Monday, August 10, 2009

89 The Brainchild

ACMM sits down with associated artist "89 The Brainchild". Hope you brought your notebooks, because class is in session.

ACMM: So tell us a little bit about "89 The Brainchild". Where You From?

89er: Rahway, NJ Born And Raised. "Spanktown" is actually the original name of this town. You can find that on old school jerseys and sports shirts. But Rahway is known as "Prison City" to some.

ACMM: (Laughs) So your definitely an intelligent artist

89er: I like to think so, but i dont try to force a whole bunch of philosophy and preach to listeners.

ACMM: I can respect that. So how did you get into music?

89er: I did music throughout my youth singing in the school chorus just to get out of class. But I think I wanted to pursue it as a career after watching "Purple Rain". (laughs) It's my favorite music movie and a top 10 movie in my book. It changed my life. (laughs)

ACMM: (laughs) We all like Prince, some guys just don't admit it.

89er: Yeah man, it was a crazy experience seeing that movie as a kid! He's a great showman though. Hands Down, one of the best performers in music.

ACMM: Does it affect the way you perform at shows?

89er: Somewhat. Im not running around in heels, ruffles, and that stuff while jumping off speakers. But that energy is still there in my performance.

ACMM: So can we expect to see that energy at your upcoming show?

89er: Oh yeah! I have a set in Montclair, NJ at The Meatlocker (8 Park Street) on the 21st of August. There's a great team of performers ranging from rock bands to electro DJ's. We gonna take them on a musical journey through Hip Hop. There are a wide variety of sounds in my set. My people "Finesse The KhanArtist" and Vas are gonna be on deck. It's gonna be a blast.


ACMM: Yeah we recently interviewed The KhanArtist! and besides Prince, who else can you say inspires you?

89er: Lupe has excellent narrative, his stories are so vivid bro! I ride with everyone from MURS,'Ye (Kanye West), Gorillaz, Sean Price, Gnarles Barkley... I can go on for days man. And I'm surrounded by talent in my own circle as well.

ACMM: Of all the rappers you named, Sean Price is probably the only "normal rapper". Everyone else on your list is known for having a "different sound". Can you say the same for your music?

89er: I try not to get too comfortable in one particular style. Some people try so hard to be different it comes off as a gimmick or as cheesy. I'm not coming with this "Look at my Mohawk, I'M WEIRD!" If you find me weird, my hair wont be the reason. A man cant stay one way forever. I may talk about how I love certain aspects of my life and 2-3 songs later I may just be the most angry cat. You gotta be multi-dimensional.

ACMM: A lot of artists fall flat in this game because of their comfort zone. What can you say about the previously mentioned talent in your circle?

89er: I think we're all individuals first. It's not like I forced my "Weed Carrier" to get behind a mic. (laughs) Khan and I knew each other for quite some time before we even started collaborating. Everybody in my corner was on the same path their on, so with or without me, they were all capable of standing on their own two feet and accomplishing their goals musically.There ain't no "Bandwagon get behind me, and I'll lead y'all". You gotta be a whole first before you break it down and be part of a unit. We all got a different side of the story to tell.

ACMM: Wow, thats some real sh*t...

89er: Khan ain't telling my story and I ain't telling his, and so on and so forth. If Khan wants to rap about something that I may not get, I'm not gonna muzzle him because I don't feel it. I expect the same from Khan, Vas, and the rest of my people.

ACMM: Do you have any mixtapes currently available? Should we be expecting any new work on the way?

89er: As of now I made appearance on KhanArtist's "Flashy Lights" joint featuring the homie Sebas. Future Sound got two mixtapes I'm on. Pretty much just guest verses. As of now though, "The Trill Cosby EP" is on the way, it's my first solo outing.

ACMM: Any words of advice to the upcoming artists in the game?

89er: Stay true to yourself simple and plain. If you wanna pursue this as a career just be ready for the ups-and-downs that come with it. I rocked shows overseas with a demo tape... came home and I didn't have a show for a year and some change.That type of shit will kill a man's spirit going back to that 9-to-5 you hate. You gotta really have a passion for the art form and keep on your grind. Networking is essential, humble yourself because you never know who can extend that helping hand. Get some business smarts too because that hood talk dont get far in a room with these business suits. You need a strong team behind you and brand yourself.

ACMM: Definitely some helpful tips for the young bucks even considering coming up in the shark tank we call the music business.

89er: Yeah man I try to share as much as i can.

ACMM: 89 it was a pleasure interviewing you. Thanks for supporting the movement, good luck on your future endeavors, we'll be right behind you.

89er: Thank you All City Music Movement, can I do the shout out thing?

ACMM: (Laughs) Yeah go ahead...

89er: Shout Out to Formatic Clothing, The Selectah Ezrakh, Finesse The KhanArtist, Vas, Mark II, Mac Tha Knife, Wordspit, and RavenHood....
and my producers The Generals and $1 Bin....... THE WHOLE JERSEY SCENE!!! Future Sound and his "Goodnight World" mixtape which is out now! I'm on that shit, check it out! All these talented individuals got projects in the future so get at them!

http://www.myspace.com/89thebrainchild

http://www.twitter.com/89theBrainchild

http://www.facebook.com/89theBrainchild (If You Want To Talk Directly)

No comments:

Post a Comment